UK Unmarried Partner Visa

UK Unmarried Partner Visa

To qualify as an unmarried partner, one needs to show a minimum of 24 months cohabitation.

Changes in the Immigration Rules have made it possible, to be granted leave to remain through the relationship of a foreign national to a British national or an individual with the Indefinite Leave to remain or similar (e.g Right of Abode).

This visa is granted on several qualifying criterias, the most important being that we can provide evidence that you have co-habited in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years. You will need to provide at least 20 documents covering the last 24 months showing your mutual address.

Evidence of a committed relationship and proof of its length can take the form of:

  • joint commitments, (such as joint bank accounts, investments, rent agreements, mortgage, death benefit etc);
  • if there are children of the relationship, a record of their birth entry.
  • correspondence which links them to the same address.
  • any official records of their address (eg Doctors records, DWP record, national insurance record etc);
  • letters from third parties may be of evidential value but should not of themselves form the sole basis of a claim;
  • any other evidence that adequately demonstrates their commitment to each other.

The UK Visas and Immigration are looking for sufficient, conclusive evidence of the relationship.

** Discretion can be applied where less than 20 documents are available.

unmarried partner visa:

Under the UK Immigration Policy for Spousal Visa, Citizens who can show that they are in a long term relationship akin to marriage to a British Citizen or settled spouse may apply for a visa that will allow them to stay in Britain for an initial period of 2.5 years. During that time, your spouse may work without restriction, employed or self – employed. Your spouse may also freely exit and re-enter the UK multiple times.

To qualify, you must show that you:

  • You can support yourselves without any help from public funds
  • You have suitable accommodation, which is owned or lived in only by you and your household, and where you can live without any help from public funds
  • You must meet the financial requirements for this visa. There are various ways you can meet these requirements, such as:

–  Employment – The minimum income threshold of £18 600 needs to be met by the British partner. You will need to supply evidence that you meet the financial requirements based on the earnings from the 12 months period prior to your partners application.

–  Cash savings – More than £16,000 will be required if (the British national) has not earned the minimum £18 600 (this makes up for the shortfall).

  • When determining whether the financial requirement in paragraph EECP. 3.1. of the immigration rules is met only the following sources will be taken into account- (a) income of the British spouse from specified employment or self-employment, which, in respect of the British national returning to the UK with the applicant, can include specified employment or self-employment overseas and in the UK
  • You must not have one or more unspent convictions within the meaning of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (this includes any court issued fines).
  • You have English speaking and listening skills at Level A1 or above. (IELTS tests can be delayed depending on demand, please enquire if you need more information).
  • You have been screened for Tuberculosis
  • The British spouse is required to show a confirmed job offer in the UK, commencing within 3 months or your family relocating, and the offer must meet the minimum required income threshold.