Student Visa

Student Visa

When looking to attend university or college in the UK, this is the visa you’ll need. The Tier 4 (General) visa has been replaced with a points-based system. You will need at least 70 points to be eligible for this visa. Points are awarded for the following:

  • Confirmation of acceptance for studies from an approved educational institution
  • Proof of sufficient funds to pay for the course and to support yourself
  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • Have consent from your parents if you are 16 or 17

If you are outside of the UK, you may apply six months before your course starts and can expect a decision within three weeks. How long the visa is valid for depends on what you intend to study.

You may be able to remain in the UK after you have completed your studies, if you’re studying at masters or doctorate level.

You may study for up to six months on a visitor visa at an accredited institution, or take “recreational courses” at any institution for up to 30 days.